- 英语 宁波市2000年高三三模
As a nurse working in the emergency room, I meet a lot of patients every workday. Yet those special “patients” on that Christmas have made a 21 impression on me.
It was unusually quiet in the emergency room on December 25. I was 22 about having to work on Christmas when a pale woman and four small children, 23 that they were terribly sick, showed up at my desk.
But when it came to descriptions of their problems, things got a little 24 . They all claimed to have headaches, but the headaches weren’t 25 by the normal body language of 26 the head and trying to keep it still.
Something was wrong. Our hospital policy, 27 , was not to 28 any patient. I explained it might be a little while 29 a doctor saw her. She responded immediately, even a bit 30 .
“Take your time,” and then she added, “It’s warm in here.” At this, I checked their registration form out of 31 . No address—they were homeless. And the waiting room was 32 .
I went back to the nurses’ station and mentioned the family in the waiting room. The nurses, 33 to a family just trying to get warm on Christmas, went into action just as we do 34 there’s a medical emergency. But this one was a Christmas emergency.
We prepared meals for our Christmas 35 . We put together oranges and apples in a basket. We collected from different departments candies, crayons and other things 36 that could be presents. As 37 as we met the physical needs of the patients that came to us that day, our team worked to meet the needs of a family who 38 wanted to be warm on Christmas Day.
Later, as the family walked to the door to leave, the mother came 39 back, gave me a hug and whispered, “Thanks for being our 40 today.”
21. A. living B. lasting C. long D. continuing
22. A. sighing B.worrying C. singing D.speaking
23. A. talking B. complaining C. saying D.telling
24. A. strange B.normal C.interesting D. surprising
25. A. shown B. accompanied C. protected D. followed
26. A. hitting B. shaking C.nodding D. holding
27. A. therefore B.however C. otherwise D.moreover
28. A. keep away B.take away C. turn away D.stay away
29. A. before B. when C. while D. after
30. A. sensitively B.angrily C.happily D. sadly
31. A. question B.control C.expectation D. curiosity
32. A. warm B. cold C. big D. small
33. A. devoted B.sympathetic C. accustomed D. grateful
34. A. if B. unless C.when D.while
35. A. guests B. patients C.travelers D. children
36. A. visible B. available C.accessible D. possible
37. A. jokingly B.casually C. seriously D.faithfully
38. A. often B. simply C. surely D. actually
39. A. walking B.stepping C. flying D. running
40. A. friends B. nurses C. hosts D. angels